- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and chopped, divided
- 1 tablespoon water
- 3 teaspoons lime juice, divided
- 2 teaspoons blackened seasoning, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained, divided
- 1 small navel orange, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 6 tostada shells
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend
- 1 pound uncooked large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- In a small bowl, combine 2 tablespoons avocado, water, 1 teaspoon lime juice, 1 teaspoon blackened seasoning and cumin. Set aside 1/4 cup beans; add remaining beans to avocado mixture and mash with a fork. Stir in reserved beans. Set aside.
- For salsa, in a small bowl, combine the orange, onion, jalapeno, cilantro and remaining avocado and lime juice. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
- Place tostada shells on ungreased baking sheets; spread with bean mixture. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 350° for 4-6 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook shrimp and remaining blackened seasoning over medium-high heat for 4-6 minutes or until shrimp turn pink. Arrange over tostada shells; serve with salsa. Yield: 6 servings.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Shrimp Tostadas with Avocado Salsa
"Was a BIG hit tonight for dinner. Will make again for a dinner party....impressive, tasty and easy. Took a while to chop everything, but well worth the time. Thanks!"
"great summer recipe. nice flavor."
"Great flavor. Very Yummy. Not easy to make but fun to make!!!"
"The salsa was especially good. I used pinto beans instead I think you could use many variations with this recipe and it would still be good."
"O.K...loved the recipe, but it was not quick to make. Thirty minutes? No way. It took me 10 just to peel the shrimp! Anyhoo, I will definitely make this again. Salsa rocked!"