Shrimp Taco Salad Recipe
I created this main-dish salad to satisfy our family's love of shrimp. It has lots of contrasting textures, including firm taco-seasoned shrimp, crispy tortilla strips and hearty black beans. A convenient bag of salad greens cuts down on prep time, so I can have this meal ready in half an hour. -Ellen Morrell, Hazleton, Pennsylvania
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 30 min. YIELD:8 servings
- 1 pound uncooked large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 envelope taco seasoning, divided
- 1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons diced green or sweet red pepper
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 3 corn tortillas (6 inches), cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 package (8 ounces) ready-to-serve salad greens
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 2 cups (8 ounces) finely shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese
- 1. Place shrimp in a large bowl; sprinkle with half of the taco seasoning. Set aside. In a small bowl, whisk 1/2 cup oil, onion, vinegar, green pepper, garlic, coriander and sugar; set aside.
- 2. In a large skillet, heat remaining oil over medium-high heat. Add tortilla chips; stir-fry until golden. Drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with remaining taco seasoning. In same skillet, cook and stir shrimp 8-10 minutes or until shrimp turn pink.
- 3. In a large bowl, combine beans, salad greens, tomato, shrimp and tortilla strips. Just before serving, whisk dressing and pour over salad; sprinkle with cheese and toss to coat. Yield: 8 servings.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC