- 12 egg roll or Chinese spring roll wrappers (6-8 inches)
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- In a small saucepan, combine the brown sugar, cornstarch and bouillon
- granules. Whisk in water and vinegar until smooth. Add the green
- pepper, pimientos, soy sauce, garlic and ginger. Bring to a boil.
- Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened; set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch, sugar and salt. Stir in soy
- sauce until smooth; set aside.
- In a large skillet or wok, stir-fry shrimp and garlic in 1 teaspoon
- oil until shrimp turns pink. Remove and keep warm.
- Stir-fry the cabbage, mushrooms, water chestnuts and carrot in
- remaining oil for 2-3 minutes or until carrot is crisp-tender.
- Stir cornstarch mixture and add to the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and
- stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Add shrimp and green
- onions; set aside to cool.
- With one corner of egg roll wrapper facing you, place 1/3 cup shrimp
- mixture just below center of wrapper. Cover remaining wrappers with
- a damp paper towel until ready to use. Fold bottom corner over
- filling. Moisten remaining edges of wrapper with water. Fold side
- corners toward center over filling. Roll spring roll up tightly,
- pressing at tip to seal. Repeat.
- In an electric skillet or deep fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry
- spring rolls, a few at a time, for 3-5 minutes or until golden
- brown, turning occasionally. Drain on paper towels. Serve with
- sauce. Yield: 1 dozen (1 cup sauce).
Wine: Light-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.