- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons apricot preserves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup water
- 2/3 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1-3/4 cups frozen broccoli, carrots and water chestnuts, thawed and coarsely chopped
- 1-1/4 pounds uncooked jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
- In a small bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. In a small saucepan, combine the water, quinoa and 1/3 cup vinegar mixture. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from the heat. Stir in vegetables. Cover and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, on four metal or soaked wooden skewers, thread shrimp. If grilling the shrimp, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil; using long-handled tongs, lightly coat the grill rack.
- Grill shrimp, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 6-8 minutes or until shrimp turn pink, basting frequently with remaining vinegar mixture and turning once. Serve with quinoa. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Shrimp Skewers with Asian Quinoa in Simple & Delicious October/November 2011, p20
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Shrimp Skewers with Asian Quinoa
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Dec. 21, 2011
"the shrimp is fabulous and quick to make. The quinoa is much better with fresh instead of frozen ingredients... but frozen will do."