Shrimp Skewers with Asian Quinoa Recipe
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons apricot preserves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup water
- 2/3 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1-3/4 cups frozen broccoli, carrots and water chestnuts, thawed and coarsely chopped
- 1-1/4 pounds uncooked jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. In a small saucepan, combine the water, quinoa and 1/3 cup vinegar mixture. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from the heat. Stir in vegetables. Cover and let stand for 10 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, on four metal or soaked wooden skewers, thread shrimp. If grilling the shrimp, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil; using long-handled tongs, lightly coat the grill rack.
- 3. Grill shrimp, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 6-8 minutes or until shrimp turn pink, basting frequently with remaining vinegar mixture and turning once. Serve with quinoa. Yield: 4 servings.
1 skewer with 3/4 cup quinoa equals 348 calories, 10 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 172 mg cholesterol, 365 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 28 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1-1/2 fat.
Reviews for Shrimp Skewers with Asian Quinoa
"the shrimp is fabulous and quick to make. The quinoa is much better with fresh instead of frozen ingredients... but frozen will do."
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.