My mother came up with this lovely salad when she lived in Anchorage, Alaska, and I modified it to make it lower in fat. Instead of buying small shrimp and chopping them, I often use salad shrimp. —Adrienne Barbe of Litchfield, Connecticut
Recommended: 50 Easy Weeknight Dinners
- 1 cup fat-free mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup seafood cocktail sauce
- 1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
- 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 hard-cooked eggs
- 2 cups cooked small shrimp, divided
- 2 cups cooked small pasta shells
- 3 celery ribs with leaves, chopped
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 5 lettuce leaves
- For dressing, in a bowl, whisk the first seven ingredients. Cover and refrigerate until chilled. Cut eggs in half; discard yolks or save for another use. Chop egg whites. Set aside 10 shrimp for garnish; chop remaining shrimp.
- In a bowl, combine the chopped shrimp, pasta, celery, egg whites and green onions. Add dressing and toss to coat. Serve on lettuce. Garnish with reserved shrimp. Yield: 5 servings.
Originally published as Shrimp Shell Salad in Light & Tasty April/May 2003, p37
Reviews for Shrimp Shell Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Sep. 23, 2013
"Simple to make and delicious to eat. I don't chop the shrimp. I want to see them."