Shrimp Rice Casserole
Not only do casseroles offer meal-in-one convenience, but they're practically guaranteed to satisfy that craving for comfort food we all experience. Served with a salad and wheat rolls, this dish makes a fine dinner.—Marie Roberts, Lake Charles, Louisiana
6 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 cups cooked long grain rice
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- In a large skillet, saute green pepper and onion in butter until
- tender. Add the shrimp, salt and cayenne; cook and stir for 2-3
- minutes or until shrimp turn pink. Add the rice, soup and 1 cup
- cheese; stir until combined.
- Pour into a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 325°
- for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, for
- 5 minutes longer or until heated through and cheese is melted.
- Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup equals 643 calories, 42 g fat (28 g saturated fat), 242 mg cholesterol, 1,332 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 33 g protein.