Shrimp Puffs Recipe
Shrimp and rice are two foods that are abundant in our area. These shrimp puffs are my family's favorite. In fact, they prefer them to fried shrimp.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Cook: 45 min. YIELD:16 servings
- 2 eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 1 pound uncooked shrimp, peeled, deveined and chopped or 2 cans (4-1/2 ounces each) small shrimp, drained
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Additional oil for deep-fat frying
- 1. In a large bowl, beat the egg yolks, milk and oil. Combine the flour, baking powder, onion powder, salt and pepper; add to yolk mixture and mix well. Stir in the rice, shrimp, parsley and pepper sauce.
- 2. In a bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form; fold into shrimp mixture.
- 3. In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 350°. Drop batter by tablespoons into hot oil. Fry puffs, a few at a time, for 1-1/2 minutes on each side or until browned and puffy. Drain on paper towels. Serve warm. Yield: about 4 dozen.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC