- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped dill pickles
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1-1/3 cups 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 8 French sandwich rolls, split
- Additional oil for deep-fat frying
- 2 pounds uncooked large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Cayenne pepper to taste
- 4 cups shredded lettuce
- 16 tomato slices
- In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, onion and pickles; set aside. For batter, combine flour and salt in a bowl. Add the egg yolks, milk and oil; beat until smooth.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold in batter.
- Wrap sandwich rolls in foil. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes or until warmed. Meanwhile, in a large skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat 1/2 in. of oil to 375°. Dip shrimp in batter; fry for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels; sprinkle with cayenne
- Spread mayonnaise mixture over rolls; top with lettuce, tomato slices and shrimp. Yield: 8 servings.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Shrimp Po' Boys
Sort By :
Made as directed except added 1/2t Old Bay to mayo mix and left off the tomato in the sandwich. Yummy!
These are EXCELLENT. At first I thought.. shrimp on bread. VERY good