Shrimp Orzo with Feta Recipe
- 1-1/4 cups uncooked whole wheat orzo pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1-1/4 pounds uncooked shrimp (26-30 per pound), peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1. Cook orzo according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic; cook and stir 1 minute. Add tomatoes and lemon juice. Bring to a boil. Stir in shrimp. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 4-5 minutes or until shrimp turn pink.
- 2. Drain orzo. Add orzo, cilantro and pepper to shrimp mixture; heat through. Sprinkle with feta cheese. Yield: 4 servings.
1 cup: 406 calories, 12g fat (3g saturated fat), 180mg cholesterol, 307mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 9g fiber), 33g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 2 starch, 1 fat.
Reviews for Shrimp Orzo with Feta
"Didn't add the cikantro and liked it, but it seemed to need something. May try adding basil if I make it again."
"A little on the bland side...next time we will add a touch of old bay."
"I followed the recipe exactly but this was way too bland."
"Easy, quick, light meal. I liked the idea of adding spinach, will add a little more next time. I used shaved Parmesan and added a few spices."
"Love this fast meal! I substituted parmesan for feta and about a cup of spinach for the cilantro to make it a one pot meal."
"Love the light flavor and textures in this dish. Served it to company and caught one licking his bowl. Lol!"
"A keeper. Hubby said we could serve this to company, even suggested doing it for a neighbor's birthday mid-August. East, very tasty!"
""It's a keeper!" That was my husband's assessment after his third helping of this deliciously flavorful recipe!I had to make a couple of tweaks due to what I had on-hand (or rather, didn't have!). I used acini de pepe instead of the orzo which gave the dish a great texture and I used lime juice instead of lemon juice because it's what I had in the kitchen.It was fast and incredibly easy to prepare, and I have a feeling this meatless meal will be making a regular appearance on our menu rotation!"
"I thought this recipe looked familiar and sure enough it was first published in 2012, now again in 2015. It is good enough to bear repeating. I am making it now as we speak, and the only thing I don't add is the cilantro (I'm allergic to it). And I use 1/4 cup chicken broth instead of olive oil... This is such a satisfying meal and so easy to put together."
"Our new favorite!! I added mushrooms & a little chicken stock to get it a little more 'saucey'!"
"I used fat free feta that tastes great."
"Only gave 4 stars due to high fat content Iended up using 1/4 cup of feta and it was remarkable with that"
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.