In Galesburg, Illinois, Sue Mackey simmers a flavorful marinara sauce for most of the day. Then shortly before mealtime, she simply adds cooked shrimp, which merely require being heated through. Served over spaghetti, it makes a delicious dressed-up main dish.
6 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Cook: 3 hours 20 min.
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/2 to 1 cup water
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 pound spaghetti, cooked and drained
- Shredded Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine the first nine ingredients. Cover and
- cook on low for 3-4 hours.
- Stir in shrimp. Cover and cook 20 minutes longer or just until shrimp
- turn pink. Serve with spaghetti. Sprinkle with cheese if desired.
- Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts:Nutritional Analysis: One serving (prepared with no-salt-added tomato paste and without salt and Parmesan cheese) equals 383 calories, 256 mg sodium, 90 mg cholesterol, 68 gm carbohydrate, 21 gm protein, 2 gm fat. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 starch, 3 lean meat, 1 vegetable.