Shrimp Lo Mein Recipe
- 1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- Dash blackened seasoning
- 6 ounces uncooked whole wheat linguine
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sherry or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 celery rib, sliced
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup fresh broccoli florets
- 2 tablespoons chopped cashews
- 1 can (8 ounces) unsweetened pineapple chunks, drained
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the shrimp, garlic and blackened seasoning; set aside. Cook linguine according to package directions.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the cornstarch, water, ketchup, soy sauce, sherry, honey, ginger and pepper flakes until blended; set aside.
- 3. In a large nonstick skillet or wok, stir-fry shrimp in 1 tablespoon oil for 2-3 minutes or until no longer pink. Remove with a slotted spoon and keep warm.
- 4. Stir-fry celery and carrot in remaining oil for 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms, broccoli and cashews; stir-fry 4-6 minutes longer or until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- 5. Stir cornstarch mixture and add to the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Drain linguine; stir into skillet. Add shrimp and pineapple; heat through. Yield: 4 servings.
1 cup equals 401 calories, 11 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 138 mg cholesterol, 678 mg sodium, 53 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 25 g protein.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.