- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 pounds large uncooked shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Hot cooked noodles or rice
- In a small saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add broth and garlic. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir in the cream, parsley, paprika, salt and pepper.
- Butterfly shrimp, by cutting lengthwise almost in half, but leaving shrimp attached at opposite side. Spread to butterfly. Place cut side down in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Pour cream sauce over shrimp. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 15-18 minutes or until shrimp turn pink. Serve with noodles or rice. Yield: 8 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Shrimp in Cream Sauce
"Just add 1/4 cup of dry sherry to this and you have an outstanding Newburg Sauce. I would not make this recipe like it is, seeing how close I was to a traditional Newburg. I couldn't forgive myself. In the last 5 weeks have made Shrimp Newburg and Crawfish Newburg. Next up is Crab & Crawfish Newburg. But I need a couple more sessions at the gym first."
"This was so delicious, we ;oved it and was so simple to make."
"I meant great."
"I have made this recipe with both shrimp and chicken. It's grat holiday recipe to use when the family comes over or for special occasions."
"I used precooked heated shrimpand added precooked chinese vegetables. I heated through just long enough to make hot. Put over fettachine noodles. It was gone in no time."
"I made with spinach noddles.....very tasty"