- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 carton (32 ounces) chicken broth
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 pounds uncooked Daily Chef Uncooked Jumbo Shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen sliced okra
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoons gumbo file powder
- Hot cooked rice
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, cook and stir flour and oil until caramel-colored, about 12 minutes (do not burn). Add the celery, green pepper and onion; cook and stir for 5-6 minutes or until tender. Stir in the broth, garlic, salt, pepper and cayenne; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Stir in the shrimp, okra, green onions and tomato. Return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until shrimp turn pink. Stir in file powder. Serve with rice. Yield: 11 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Shrimp Gumbo(23)
Sort By :
This recipe was pretty good. I've tried cooking it a few times, each time making minor adjustments or additions to try and make it better suited to my family's tastes, but every time I make it it always feels like something is missing. It's not bad, but we won't be making it again.
I had been looking for a good Gumbo recipe for a long time. when I was given this one. after making this the first time all the Gumbo in my recipe draw was thrown away. the next day made copies and passed out to my co-workers. The one's who have made this swear the family was licking the bowl & begging for more. This is one yummy dish.
Simple to prepare and delicious
I forgot to add that I did add bay leaf and a few drops of hot sauce. I also added no gumbo file and it was perfect for us.
Such a great dish for any time! My husband and I love it and it is so easy to make. Even better the next day. This is a must for anyone who loves shrimp.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Cajun Dinner Recipes >
- Cajun Recipes >
- Diabetic Dinner Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Low Carb Dinner Recipes >
- Low Carb Recipes >
- Low Fat Dinner Recipes & Main Dishes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Mardi Gras Dinner Recipes >
- Mardi Gras Recipes >
- Potluck Dinner Recipes >
- Potluck Recipes >