Shrimp Filetto di Pomodoro Recipe
- 1/2 pound bacon strips, diced
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (one 28 ounces, one 15 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (16 ounces) linguine
- 2 pounds uncooked large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- 1. In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings. Saute onion and mushrooms in drippings and butter until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the tomatoes, basil, sugar, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, cook linguine according to package directions. Add shrimp and reserved bacon to tomato mixture; cook, uncovered, for 5-6 minutes or until shrimp turn pink. Drain linguine; place in a large bowl. Top with shrimp mixture. Garnish with cheese if desired. Yield: 10 servings.
3/4 cup shrimp mixture with 3/4 cup linguine (calculated without Parmesan cheese) equals 402 calories, 14 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 153 mg cholesterol, 575 mg sodium, 46 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 26 g protein.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.