Shrimp Egg Rolls Recipe
"My friend Yi owns a Chinese restaurant and taught me that Chinese cooking is simple if you have great recipes," says Rose Bialowas from New Port Richey, Florida. She uses shrimp, bean sprouts, cabbage and carrot for these crispy egg rolls served with a homemade sweet-and-sour sauce.
- 4-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 can (6 ounces) small shrimp, rinsed and drained or 1 cup cooked small shrimp, peeled and deveined and chopped
- 1 cup canned bean sprouts, chopped
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup grated carrot
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 12 egg roll wrappers
- Additional oil for deep-fat frying
- 1. For sweet-sour sauce, combine the cornstarch, sugar, pineapple juice, vinegar, ketchup and soy sauce in a saucepan until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; set aside.
- 2. In a large skillet, stir-fry the shrimp, bean sprouts, cabbage, onion and carrot in oil until crisp-tender; cool slightly. Stir in pepper and salt. Position egg roll wrappers with a long edge facing you. Spoon 1/4 cup of shrimp mixture on the bottom third of each wrapper. Fold bottom over filling; fold sides over filling toward center. Moisten top edge with water; roll up tightly to seal.
- 3. In a deep saucepan, electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry egg rolls, a few at a time, for 4-5 minutes or until golden brown, turning often. Drain on paper towels. Serve with sweet-sour sauce. Yield: 1 dozen.
Reviews for Shrimp Egg Rolls
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC