Shrimp Corn Cakes with Soy Mayo Recipe
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, optional
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- SHRIMP CORN CAKES:
- 1/2 cup chopped onion (about 1 small)
- 1 tablespoon oil plus additional for frying, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 pound uncooked peeled and deveined shrimp, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup cream-style corn
- 1 cup whole kernel corn
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Cover and chill until serving.
- 2. In a large skillet, cook and stir onion in 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add shrimp; cook and stir until shrimp turns pink. Remove from the heat.
- 3. In a large bowl, mix the flour, cornmeal, cornstarch, baking powder, salt and pepper. In a small bowl, mix the corn, egg and shrimp mixture; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- 4. In an electric skillet, heat 1/4 in. of oil to 375°. In batches, drop corn mixture by rounded tablespoonfuls into oil; fry 1-1/2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Serve with sauce. Yield: 2 dozen (2/3 cup sauce).
1 corn cake with 1 teaspoon sauce equals 109 calories, 7 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 22 mg cholesterol, 183 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.