Shrimp Corn Bread Dressing Recipe
A co-worker from Louisiana shared hearty helpings of this delightful dressing (and copies of the recipe!) more than 20 years ago. It's been a "must" on my Thanksgiving menu ever since.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Bake: 40 min. YIELD:12-14 servings
- 7 cups water, divided
- 1 tablespoon seafood seasoning
- 1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 package (14 ounces) seasoned stuffing cubes or crushed seasoned stuffing
- 3 cups crumbled corn bread
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon each black, white and cayenne pepper
- Celery leaves, optional
- 1. In a large saucepan, bring 5 cups of water and seafood seasoning to a boil. Add shrimp; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 2 minutes or until shrimp turn pink. Drain; set aside three shrimp for garnish. Chop the remaining shrimp.
- 2. In a large skillet, saute onion, celery, green pepper and green onions in butter until tender. In a large bowl, combine the stuffing, corn bread, chopped shrimp, sauteed vegetables and seasonings. Stir in the remaining water. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until lightly browned. Garnish with celery leaves if desired and reserved shrimp. Yield: 12-14 servings.
1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 245 calories, 9 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 66 mg cholesterol, 919 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 10 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC