In Gretna, Louisiana, Will Zunino simmers this rich and creamy creation in his slow cooker. Because the chowder is ready in less than four hours, it can be prepared in the afternoon and served to dinner guests that night.
12 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 3-1/2 hours
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 cans (12 ounces each) evaporated milk
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of potato soup, undiluted
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 can (7 ounces) white or shoepeg corn, drained
- 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 pounds peeled and deveined cooked small shrimp
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, cubed
- In a small skillet, saute onion in butter until tender. In a 5-qt.
- slow cooker, combine the onion, milk, soups, corn, Creole seasoning
- and garlic powder.
- Cover and cook on low for 3 hours. Stir in shrimp and cream cheese.
- Cook 30 minutes longer or until shrimp are heated through and cheese
- is melted. Stir to blend. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 202 calories, 8 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 169 mg cholesterol, 745 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 20 g protein.