Shrimp Bisque Recipe
I enjoy both Cajun and Mexican cuisine, and this rich, elegant soup combines the best of both. I serve it with a crispy green salad and glass of white wine for a simple but very special meal.—Karen Harris, Castle Rock, Colorado
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 30 min. YIELD:3 servings
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons sodium-free chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Fresh cilantro, cubed avocado and additonal shrimp, optional
- 1. In a small saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in flour until blended. Stir in the water, cream, chili powder, bouillon, cumin and coriander; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- 2. Cut shrimp into bite-size pieces; add to soup. Simmer 5 minutes longer or until shrimp turn pink. Gradually stir 1/2 cup hot soup into sour cream; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Heat through (do not boil). Garnish with cilantro, avocado and additional shrimp if desired. Yield: 3 cups.
1 cup equals 327 calories, 24 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 180 mg cholesterol, 199 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 17 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC