Shrimp Bisque Recipe
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons sodium-free chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Fresh cilantro, cubed avocado and additonal shrimp, optional
- 1. In a small saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in flour until blended. Stir in the water, cream, chili powder, bouillon, cumin and coriander; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- 2. Cut shrimp into bite-size pieces; add to soup. Simmer 5 minutes longer or until shrimp turn pink. Gradually stir 1/2 cup hot soup into sour cream; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Heat through (do not boil). Garnish with cilantro, avocado and additional shrimp if desired. Yield: 3 cups.
1 cup: 334 calories, 24g fat (12g saturated fat), 160mg cholesterol, 160mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 17g protein .
Reviews for Shrimp Bisque
"WOW! This was fantastic!! It really only makes two servings though, so be sure to double it if you want any more than that! Again... WOW!!"
"I MADE THIS FOR MY FAMILY AND GUEST AND THEY RAVED ABOUT IT. IT WAS EASY AND THE FLAVOR WAS GREAT."
"Wow.....this is amazing! You will definitely want to double the recipe because 1 servings won't be enough!!"
"Loved it! After browning onion and garlic, I pureed with a can of diced tomatoes, skipped the flour and simmered for 30 min with spices then added chopped cooked shrimp and left over chunky guacamole."
"I thought this sounded pretty good when I read over the recipe. When I tasted it though, let me tell you - I WAS TOTALLY BLOWN AWAY. It is AMAZING!!! Definitely deserves to be served for a special holiday meal or some other special occasion. YUM."
"I the recipe exactly as shown and it got rave reviews from my entire family. I'll definitely make it again, but next time I'll double it!"
"I made this to take to a Girls Ceasar Salad Night and it was a huge hit! I let my 17 yr. old son try it before I left and he said that it was the best soup he had ever eaten. Needless to say he was less than thrilled that I left the house with it for others to indulge. The only changes I made were instead of using the whipping cream, full sour cream and uncooked shrimp, I did use half and half, light sour cream and cooked shrimp which I threw in towards the end just to heat up. Fantastic! Thanks for sharing!"
"I did not add the chili powder. My husband asked to have it again. Very good."
"We absolutely love this soup and I always double it because I don't want to find another use for the leftover cream and the flavors are blended even better the second day. I don't let is stay in the refrigerator longer than about 2 days after serving because of the shrimp. I nearly always used cooked peeled shrimp and just add them a little later in the cooking process since they just need to get warmed up."
"Excellent bisque. Easy to make, even if you are a new cook. I substituted no fat 1/2 and 1/2 for the heavy cream and used low fat sour cream, it was still thick and creamy. My husband who is not a soup fan, asked for 2nds, to me that said it all, is definetly a keeper recipe."