- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons sodium-free chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Fresh cilantro, cubed avocado and additonal shrimp, optional
- In a small saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in flour until blended. Stir in the water, cream, chili powder, bouillon, cumin and coriander; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Cut shrimp into bite-size pieces; add to soup. Simmer 5 minutes longer or until shrimp turn pink. Gradually stir 1/2 cup hot soup into sour cream; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Heat through (do not boil). Garnish with cilantro, avocado and additional shrimp if desired. Yield: 3 cups.
Reviews for Shrimp Bisque
"WOW! This was fantastic!! It really only makes two servings though, so be sure to double it if you want any more than that! Again... WOW!!"
"I MADE THIS FOR MY FAMILY AND GUEST AND THEY RAVED ABOUT IT. IT WAS EASY AND THE FLAVOR WAS GREAT."
"Wow.....this is amazing! You will definitely want to double the recipe because 1 servings won't be enough!!"
"Loved it! After browning onion and garlic, I pureed with a can of diced tomatoes, skipped the flour and simmered for 30 min with spices then added chopped cooked shrimp and left over chunky guacamole."
"I thought this sounded pretty good when I read over the recipe. When I tasted it though, let me tell you - I WAS TOTALLY BLOWN AWAY. It is AMAZING!!! Definitely deserves to be served for a special holiday meal or some other special occasion. YUM."