Shrimp and Scallop Couscous Recipe
- 2 medium zucchini, julienned
- 1 medium green pepper, julienned
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 pound bay scallops
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Hot cooked couscous
- Thinly sliced fresh basil leaves, optional
- 1. In a large skillet, saute zucchini and green pepper in oil until tender. Add the tomatoes, onions, basil, chili powder, garlic and oregano. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- 2. Stir in the shrimp, scallops, salt and pepper. Return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until shrimp turn pink and scallops are opaque. Serve with couscous. Garnish with sliced basil if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
1 cup (calculated without couscous) equals 201 calories, 9 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 88 mg cholesterol, 342 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 21 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1-1/2 fat, 1 vegetable.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.