Shrimp and Rice Salad
This salad is popular in our community, where seafood of all kinds is readily available. It’s great for summer picnics, but I serve it year-round. The shrimp, rice, olives, celery and hard-cooked eggs—with a mustard and mayonnaise dressing—make a nice combination.
6 ServingsPrep: 30 min. + chilling
- 3 cups hot cooked long grain rice
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 1-1/2 cups cooked small shrimp
- 1 cup sliced ripe olives
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup chopped dill pickle
- 1/4 cup diced pimientos
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 2 hard-cooked eggs, sliced
- Place hot rice in a large bowl. In a jar with a tight-fitting lid,
- combine the oil, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper; shake well. Pour
- over rice; cool to room temperature. Add the celery, shrimp, olives,
- mayonnaise, pickle, pimientos and onion: toss gently. Cover and
- refrigerate for 1 hour or until chilled. Garnish with egg slices.
- Yield: 6 servings.
Wine: Light-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot