Pineapple chunks give fried rice a tropical twist, while shrimp and cashews turn this simple favorite into a restaurant-quality meal everyone will love. —Lynne Van Wagenen, Salt Lake City, Utah
- 2 eggs
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups cooked instant brown rice
- 1 can (20 ounces) unsweetened pineapple chunks, drained
- 1/2 pound cooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 cup chopped cashews
- 1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a small bowl, whisk eggs. Heat a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium heat. Add eggs. Cook and stir until set; remove from the skillet and keep warm.
- In the same skillet, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the rice, pineapple, shrimp, cashews, peas and green onions; heat through. Combine the soy sauce, hoisin sauce, sugar, sesame oil and pepper; stir into rice mixture. Stir in eggs. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Shrimp and Pineapple Fried Rice in Healthy Cooking February/March 2010, p33
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Shrimp and Pineapple Fried Rice
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review