Shrimp and Penne Supper Recipe
- 2 cups uncooked whole wheat penne pasta
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with basil, oregano and garlic
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup fat-free half-and-half
- 3/4 cup fat-free milk
- 1 package (10 ounces) fresh spinach, torn
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook onion and garlic in 1 teaspoon oil over medium heat for 3 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper flakes.
- 2. Combine the flour, half-and-half and milk until smooth; gradually stir into skillet. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Add spinach; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until spinach is wilted and sauce is thickened. Stir in 1/4 cup cheese. Drain pasta and place in a serving bowl. Add sauce and toss to coat; keep warm.
- 3. In the same skillet, cook the shrimp in remaining oil over medium heat for 3-4 minutes or until shrimp turn pink. Place over pasta mixture; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
1-1/3 cups equals 342 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 117 mg cholesterol, 852 mg sodium, 47 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 25 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Reviews for Shrimp and Penne Supper
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.