Shrimp and Penne Supper Recipe
- 2 cups uncooked whole wheat penne pasta
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with basil, oregano and garlic
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 cup fat-free half-and-half
- 3/4 cup fat-free milk
- 1 package (10 ounces) fresh spinach, torn
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook onion and garlic in 1 teaspoon oil over medium heat for 3 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper flakes.
- Combine the flour, half-and-half and milk until smooth; gradually stir into skillet. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Add spinach; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until spinach is wilted and sauce is thickened. Stir in 1/4 cup cheese. Drain pasta and place in a serving bowl. Add sauce and toss to coat; keep warm.
- In the same skillet, cook the shrimp in remaining oil over medium heat for 3-4 minutes or until shrimp turn pink. Place over pasta mixture; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Shrimp and Penne Supper(7)
Sort By :
This is a wonderful dish and guilt-free too for those who are watching calories! I did not have fresh shrimp, so used what I had at hand : petite shrimp, canned chopped clams. The flavor of the dish is superb! My husband loved it and helped himslef with seconds!
Loved this! I actually made it again another time with cut up chicken breasts and that was good too!
I can't believe how quick and easy this recipe is! I was quite the opposite of getting a "jump start" in the morning. When I started making the recipe my shrimp was still frozen and had to be peeled, and from the time I started till we sat down to eat it was still just 1 hour! This recipe is awesome...tastes like something you would be served at a very good restaurant! I was a little intimidated by the review re crushed red pepper so I cut it in half, and my husband's comment was that it had a "little kick"...just perfect! I highly recommend this recipe...can't wait to make it again!
More Recipe Collections
- Cheese Recipes >
- Diabetic Dinner Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Dinners >
- Healthy Main Dishes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Italian Dinners >
- Italian Recipes >
- Low Fat Dinner Recipes & Main Dishes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- New Year's Dinner Recipes >
- New Year's Recipes >
- Pasta & Sauces >
- Pasta Dinners >
- Pasta Recipes >
- Seafood Recipes >