Shrimp and Grits Recipe
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup fat-free half-and-half
- 4 teaspoons butter, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking grits
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1. In a large saucepan, bring water, half-and-half, 2 teaspoons butter, salt and pepper to a boil. Slowly stir in grits. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, covered, about 5 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix ketchup, honey, lemon juice and pepper sauce. In a large skillet, heat remaining butter over medium-high heat. Add celery and onion; cook and stir until tender. Add shrimp; cook and stir until shrimp turn pink. Stir in ketchup mixture.
- 3. Stir cheese into grits. Serve shrimp mixture with grits. Yield: 4 servings.
1/2 cup shrimp mixture with 3/4 cup grits equals 388 calories, 11 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 198 mg cholesterol, 823 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 30 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 3 lean meat, 2 fat.
Reviews for Shrimp and Grits
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.