Shrimp and Grits Recipe
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup fat-free half-and-half
- 4 teaspoons butter, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking grits
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1. In a large saucepan, bring water, half-and-half, 2 teaspoons butter, salt and pepper to a boil. Slowly stir in grits. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, covered, about 5 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix ketchup, honey, lemon juice and pepper sauce. In a large skillet, heat remaining butter over medium-high heat. Add celery and onion; cook and stir until tender. Add shrimp; cook and stir until shrimp turn pink. Stir in ketchup mixture.
- 3. Stir cheese into grits. Serve shrimp mixture with grits. Yield: 4 servings.
1/2 cup shrimp mixture with 3/4 cup grits: 388 calories, 11g fat (7g saturated fat), 198mg cholesterol, 823mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 3g fiber), 30g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 3 lean meat, 2 fat.
Reviews for Shrimp and Grits
"Ahhhmazing! Creamy grits and spicy shrimp...yum. I didn't add celery, and I added Gouda instead of Cheddar. This is a 5-star all the way."
"In love with this recipe! A slightly healthier version of a great meal. It is sweet and spicy. My husband and I like spice so I tend to be heavy handed with the hot sauce and thought it evened out the sweetness well. Making it again tonight!"
"I enjoyed this recipe. I used 4 tablespoons of butter in the grits instead of 2 tablespoons. I used 2 tablespoons of garlic butter to cook the celery and I used a red onion. Those are the only changes. I saved this recipe."
"My husband and I are crazy about this meal. I cut the amount of shrimp and all of the grits ingredients in half for the two of us, and used Sriracha instead of Tabasco. This is a dish I will make again and again.Update: Last night my husband made two comments about the evening meal. First was, "Oh, good, shrimp & grits!" when I set it in front of him, and "This is a GREAT meal" about halfway through. High praise, indeed. Thank you, Judith, for sharing the recipe."
"This recipe was good, not great. I think what I didn't like was the ketchup. With the honey it was too sweet. May try it again without it."
"Wow, this was GREAT! I did not add the ketchup and I didn't miss it. I used fresh shrimp and cut them in half. It was a nice change from having potatoes or rice."