- 2 cups water
- 1 cup fat-free half-and-half
- 4 teaspoons butter, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking grits
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- In a large saucepan, bring water, half-and-half, 2 teaspoons butter, salt and pepper to a boil. Slowly stir in grits. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, covered, about 5 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix ketchup, honey, lemon juice and pepper sauce. In a large skillet, heat remaining butter over medium-high heat. Add celery and onion; cook and stir until tender. Add shrimp; cook and stir until shrimp turn pink. Stir in ketchup mixture.
- Stir cheese into grits. Serve shrimp mixture with grits. Yield: 4 servings.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Shrimp and Grits
Sort By :
My husband and I are crazy about this meal. I cut the recipe in half for the two of us, and used Sriracha instead of Tabasco, but otherwise I prepared it exactly as directed. This is a dish I will make again and again.
This recipe was good, not great. I think what I didn't like was the ketchup. With the honey it was too sweet. May try it again without it.
Wow, this was GREAT! I did not add the ketchup and I didn't miss it. I used fresh shrimp and cut them in half. It was a nice change from having potatoes or rice.