Shrimp and Black Bean Soup
Packed with tomatoes, beans, corn and, of course, shrimp, this bold and spicy soup is shared by Elizabeth Lewis of Hayden, Alabama. She writes, “My family likes spicy foods and everyone really enjoys this soup. It's especially good in cold weather.”
8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cans (10 ounces each) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 4-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- In a Dutch oven, saute onion in oil for 3-4 minutes or until tender.
- Add the broth, tomatoes and green chilies, corn, black beans,
- tomatoes, chili powder, sugar and salt. Bring to a boil, stirring
- occasionally. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Stir in shrimp; cook 5-6 minutes longer or until shrimp turn pink.
- Stir in parsley. Yield: 8 servings (3 quarts).
Nutritional Facts: 1-1/2 cups equals 177 calories, 3 g fat (trace saturated fat), 84 mg cholesterol, 983 mg sodium,