Shrimp and Black Bean Soup Recipe
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cans (10 ounces each) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 4-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1. In a Dutch oven, saute onion in oil for 3-4 minutes or until tender. Add the broth, tomatoes and green chilies, corn, black beans, tomatoes, chili powder, sugar and salt. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- 2. Stir in shrimp; cook 5-6 minutes longer or until shrimp turn pink. Stir in parsley. Yield: 8 servings (3 quarts).
1-1/2 cup: 177 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 84mg cholesterol, 983mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 6g fiber), 15g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Reviews for Shrimp and Black Bean Soup
"This recipe is SO SO HOT! I didn't put near the amount of chili powder in as it calls for and it was still way hot. It also seemed rather tasteless, but probably it was the chili powder over powering everything else. All in all, I still thought it was good and would probably make again and season it differently. Unfortunately my husband hated it :("
"Very good soup for a cold day. I added an extra can of black beans."