Shrimp and Black Bean Soup Recipe
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cans (10 ounces each) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 4-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1. In a Dutch oven, saute onion in oil for 3-4 minutes or until tender. Add the broth, tomatoes and green chilies, corn, black beans, tomatoes, chili powder, sugar and salt. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- 2. Stir in shrimp; cook 5-6 minutes longer or until shrimp turn pink. Stir in parsley. Yield: 8 servings (3 quarts).
1-1/2 cups equals 177 calories, 3 g fat (trace saturated fat), 84 mg cholesterol, 983 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 15 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.