Shrimp and Asparagus Casserole Recipe
This scrumptious seafood dish "travels well". At least, the recipe does= I make sure to pack it in my handbag whenever my husband and I are preparing to visit out-of-state relatives. Now that we're retired, we travel often. And it's our custom to take over in the kitchen wherever we visit and whip up one of our own family favorites-frequently this casserole. It never fails to win us compliments...along with invitations to visit again!
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen asparagus cuts
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/4 cup dry white wine or 1/4 cup more cream or 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 pound cooked small shrimp
- 1/2 cup buttered soft bread crumbs
- 1. On stove top or in a microwave oven, blanch asparagus for 3 minutes. Drain well; set aside.
- 2. In a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour; cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk and cream; cook until thickened. Stir in wine (or substitute). Season with salt and pepper. Stir in beaten egg yolk, cheese and shrimp.
- 3. In a buttered 2-1/2-qt. casserole, arrange half the asparagus; pour on half the sauce. Repeat layers. Top with buttered crumbs. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Yield: 6 servings.
1-1/2 cups: 294 calories, 16g fat (9g saturated fat), 229mg cholesterol, 627mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 24g protein.
Reviews for Shrimp and Asparagus Casserole
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC