Shrimp and Asparagus Casserole Recipe
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen asparagus cuts
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/4 cup dry white wine or 1/4 cup more cream or 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 pound cooked small shrimp
- 1/2 cup buttered soft bread crumbs
- On stove top or in a microwave oven, blanch asparagus for 3 minutes. Drain well; set aside.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour; cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk and cream; cook until thickened. Stir in wine (or substitute). Season with salt and pepper. Stir in beaten egg yolk, cheese and shrimp.
- In a buttered 2-1/2-qt. casserole, arrange half the asparagus; pour on half the sauce. Repeat layers. Top with buttered crumbs. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Yield: 6 servings.
This recipe pairs well with a full-bodied white wine.
Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Rutherford Hill Chardonnay 2012 Napa Valley, a full-bodied classic California Chardonnay with the perfect touch of oak. Buy now and get 6 bottles for $99.99. Order Now
Reviews for Shrimp and Asparagus Casserole
Sort By :
It was really good! I served over angel hair pasta and also used fresh asparagus.
This was fantastic, I used fresh asparagus and served it over angel hair pasta. This is creamy decadence. Everyone wanted more.