- 3-1/4 to 3-3/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup uncooked arborio rice
- 1 package (6 ounces) fresh baby spinach, coarsely chopped
- 1 pound cooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a small saucepan, heat broth and keep warm. In a large nonstick skillet, saute mushrooms and onion in butter until tender, about 3 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add rice; cook and stir for 2-3 minutes. Carefully stir in 1 cup heated broth. Cook and stir until all of the liquid is absorbed.
- Add remaining broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly. Allow liquid to absorb between additions. Cook just until risotto is creamy and rice is almost tender, about 20 minutes.
- Add the spinach, shrimp, cheese and pepper; cook and stir until spinach is wilted and shrimp are heated through. Yield: 4 servings.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Shrimp 'n' Spinach Risotto
"I have never made risotto before and this was delicious and on the easier side to make too! Would definitely recommend!!"
"Delicious! I made this without the mushrooms (KIDS!). Was a little leery of serving to family because they can be picky about rice too. They gave it "thumbs up". I did add a little sherry to the risotto and that added a nice compliment to the shrimp. Glad I didn't add any extra salt (thought about it) because this was pleasantly salted even using the low sodium broth. Best part is that it was a one pot meal. This is staying in my recipe box for sure!"
"This is a fantastic recipe. The first time I made it I left out the mushrooms and messed up the rice. It still turned out fantastic. Half of the rice was a less than cooked and we ate it anyway. That's how good it is. I made it again, didn't mess up the rice, left out the pasta and substituted low-fat feta for the Parmesan. It was still awesome. Make this Risotto. You won't be sorry."
"This is a very tasty recipe. I substituted fresh snap peas for the spinach."