Writes Jennifer Neilsen of Williamston, North Carolina, “I enjoy concocting new, healthy recipes and spinach is one of the few vegetables that my husband will eat.” Jennifer's creamy risotto makes a great side dish, but doubles as a meal-in-one as well.
- 3-1/4 to 3-3/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup uncooked arborio rice
- 1 package (6 ounces) fresh baby spinach, coarsely chopped
- 1 pound cooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a small saucepan, heat broth and keep warm. In a large nonstick skillet, saute mushrooms and onion in butter until tender, about 3 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add rice; cook and stir for 2-3 minutes. Carefully stir in 1 cup heated broth. Cook and stir until all of the liquid is absorbed.
- Add remaining broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly. Allow liquid to absorb between additions. Cook just until risotto is creamy and rice is almost tender, about 20 minutes.
- Add the spinach, shrimp, cheese and pepper; cook and stir until spinach is wilted and shrimp are heated through. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Shrimp 'n' Spinach Risotto in Light & Tasty April/May 2007, p35
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Shrimp 'n' Spinach Risotto
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review