“I love stir-fry, so I wrapped up my favorite one for this recipe,” says Michael Compean of West Los Angeles, California. “You can use white, brown, wild or Japanese sticky rice…or combine rice with ramen noodles.”
Recommended: 39 Amazing Ways to Love Whole Grains
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons clam juice
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sherry or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 pound sliced fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 1/4 pound fresh snow peas
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 8 uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon sesame seeds
- Dash salt
- 1-1/2 cups hot cooked rice
- 2 flour tortillas (10 inches), warmed
- In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch, clam juice, water, soy sauce, honey, sesame oil and sherry or broth until smooth; set aside.
- In a large skillet or wok, stir-fry mushrooms and peas in canola oil for 3-4 minutes or until tender. Add the shrimp, ginger and garlic; stir-fry until shrimp turn pink.
- Stir cornstarch mixture and add to the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the cilantro, pepper, sesame seeds and salt.
- Remove from the heat. Spoon rice down the center of each tortilla; top with shrimp mixture and roll up. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Shrimp 'n' Rice Wraps in Cooking for 2 Spring 2008, p53