Shrimp 'n' Black Bean Chili
It’s not spicy, but this chili is sure to warm you up during those cold winter evenings. “Since this recipe calls for precooked shrimp and canned goods, it is very quick to prepare,“ explains Elizabeth Hunt of Kirbyville, Texas.
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/3 cup picante sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 pound cooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and green pepper in oil for 4-5
- minutes or until crisp-tender. Stir in the beans, tomatoes, broth,
- picante sauce, cumin and basil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for
- 10-15 minutes or until heated through.
- Add shrimp; simmer 3-4 minutes longer or until heated through. Serve
- with rice if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup (prepared with reduced-sodium chicken broth; calculated without rice) equals 190 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 115 mg cholesterol, 504 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 20 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch.