Shrimp 'n' Black Bean Chili Recipe
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/3 cup picante sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 pound cooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute onion and green pepper in oil for 4-5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Stir in the beans, tomatoes, broth, picante sauce, cumin and basil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes or until heated through.
- 2. Add shrimp; simmer 3-4 minutes longer or until heated through. Serve with rice if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
1 cup (prepared with reduced-sodium chicken broth; calculated without rice) equals 190 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 115 mg cholesterol, 504 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 20 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch.