Shrimp & Tortellini in Tomato Cream Recipe
- 1 package (9 ounces) refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- Dash crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 bottle (8 ounces) clam juice
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan and Romano cheese blend
- 1/4 cup half-and-half cream
- 10 fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons minced chives
- Shredded Parmesan cheese and minced fresh parsley, optional
- 1. Cook tortellini according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, cook shrimp in 2 teaspoons oil until shrimp turn pink. Stir in the lemon peel, 1/8 teaspoon pepper and pepper flakes. Remove and keep warm.
- 2. In the same skillet, cook shallots in remaining oil over low heat for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown, stirring occasionally. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- 3. Add the tomatoes, clam juice, wine, vinegar, thyme and remaining pepper. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced by half, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat; discard thyme sprigs. Stir in the cheese, cream, basil, chives and shrimp.
- 4. Drain tortellini; stir into shrimp mixture. Sprinkle with shredded cheese and parsley if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
1-1/2 cups (calculated without shredded cheese) equals 449 calories, 14 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 182 mg cholesterol, 723 mg sodium, 46 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 33 g protein.
Reviews for Shrimp & Tortellini in Tomato Cream
"Very good, but I did think it needed more cream."
"This is a great Tomato base recipe with or without the shrimp. Cheese ravioli would also work instead of the tortellini. Rather than using the clam juice I made a shrimp stock from the shells of the shrimp."
"I've made this several times and my FAMILY loves it!"
"This was an easy dish to make, absolutely delicious!"
"I thought this was good, but my husband and daughter did not like it. I thought the flavor was good but I don't think I would say it was something out of an Italian restaurant."
"I will definitely make this dish again. My husband and I agreed it reminded us of a meal in a fine restaurant."
"OMG, this was delicious!!! Any restaurant would be lucky for such a quality dish. I left out the clam juice because I didn't have, but still, yum!"
"I forgot to say that when I made this dish I add some cornstarch and water together and stirred it in the broth to thicken a bit"
"This recipe is reminiscent of a 5 star Italian restaurant and is a fine meal to impress any discriminating palette."
"My family loves this dish! I'm making for all of us tonight for our Valentine's dinner."
"Delicious and satisfying. Great with a loaf of crusty bread. Will definitely make this again!"
"Wow tastes like right out of an Italian Restorant! Will definitely make this again!"
"We loved it...can't wait to take it to work and eat leftovers for lunch!"
"Excellent recipe which was full of flavor . I would definitely make it again. It makes a great sauce. One could also use it with fettuccine noodles."
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.