Shrimp & Tortellini in Tomato Cream for Two Recipe
- 3 cups refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 1/2 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1-1/2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Dash crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup clam juice
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan and Romano cheese blend
- 2 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- 5 fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon minced chives
- Shredded Parmesan cheese and minced fresh parsley, optional
- 1. Cook tortellini according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a small nonstick skillet, cook shrimp in 1 teaspoon oil until shrimp turn pink. Stir in the lemon peel, pepper and pepper flakes. Remove and keep warm.
- 2. In the same skillet, cook shallots in remaining oil over low heat for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown, stirring occasionally. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- 3. Add the tomatoes, clam juice, wine, vinegar and thyme. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced by half, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat; discard thyme sprigs. Stir in the cheese blend, cream, basil, chives and shrimp.
- 4. Drain tortellini; stir into shrimp mixture. Sprinkle with shredded cheese and parsley if desired. Yield: 2 servings.
1-1/2 cups (calculated without shredded cheese) equals 448 calories, 14 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 182 mg cholesterol, 722 mg sodium, 46 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 33 g protein.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.