Shrimp & Shiitake Stir-Fry with Crispy Noodles Recipe
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 small head bok choy
- 1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 large onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 cups sliced fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 1/4 cup chow mein noodles
- Hot cooked brown rice, optional
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch, broth and soy sauce until smooth; set aside. Cut off and discard root end of bok choy, leaving stalks with leaves. Cut leaves from stalks. Slice leaves; set aside. Slice stalks.
- 2. In a large skillet or wok, stir-fry shrimp in 1 tablespoon oil until shrimp turn pink. Remove and keep warm.
- 3. Stir-fry the ginger, garlic and pepper flakes in remaining oil for 1 minute. Add the onion, mushrooms and bok choy stalks; stir-fry for 4 minutes. Add bok choy leaves; stir-fry 2-4 minutes longer or until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- 4. Stir cornstarch mixture and add to the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add shrimp; heat through. Sprinkle with chow mein noodles. Serve with rice if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
1 cup stir-fry with 1 tablespoon chow mein noodles (calculated without rice) equals 238 calories, 10 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 139 mg cholesterol, 710 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 24 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 fat.
Reviews for Shrimp & Shiitake Stir-Fry with Crispy Noodles
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.