Mac and cheese goes upscale in this deliciously cheesy variation. The shrimp gives a unique twist to this popular standard. —Michael Cohen, Los Angeles, California
- 1 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup half-and-half cream
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 pound uncooked shrimp, peeled, deveined and chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh spinach
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the egg, cream and butter; set aside. Drain macaroni; transfer to another bowl. Add the Parmesan cheese, 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, garlic, salt, pepper and reserved egg mixture to the macaroni; toss to coat. Stir in shrimp and spinach.
- Transfer to a 1-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until shrimp turn pink and cheese is melted. Yield: 3 servings.
Originally published as Shrimp & Macaroni Casserole in Cooking for 2 Spring 2009, p31
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Shrimp & Macaroni Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review