- 1 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup half-and-half cream
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 pound uncooked shrimp, peeled, deveined and chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh spinach
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the egg, cream and butter; set aside. Drain macaroni; transfer to another bowl. Add the Parmesan cheese, 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, garlic, salt, pepper and reserved egg mixture to the macaroni; toss to coat. Stir in shrimp and spinach.
- Transfer to a 1-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until shrimp turn pink and cheese is melted. Yield: 3 servings.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Shrimp & Macaroni Casserole
"Marvelous! I followed the recipe pretty closely, except that I used cheddar cheese instead of the Parmesan, and I experimented a bit with the spinach. I defrosted a 10-ounce package, squeezed it as dry as I could get it, spread it out on a cookie sheet that I first coated with cooking spray, and baked it at 350 degrees for half an hour. The baking removed even more liquid without drying the spinach out completely.I also cut the shrimp in half crosswise instead of chopping them. Although the visible shrimp were cooked, the ones buried in the casserole needed a little nuke-time. We will definitely be having this again, so I will try halving the shrimp lengthwise."
"Very yummy! I made this on a "snow day" with what I had on hand. Like others I used a combination of cheeses for the parmesan (cheddar, smoked gruyere, and parm) and substitutes peas for the spinach. I will definitely make this again."
"So easy yet sooo delicious! I used precooked shrimp."
"This was very good. The only change I made was I used a Asiago, Fontina, Parmesan, Provolone mix in place of the Parmesan. My husband liked it. Will make again."
"So very very good! Frozen peas are great in place of the spinach. Cooked shrimp instead of raw worked as well."