Shrimp & Chicken Sausage with Grits Recipe
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup quick-cooking grits
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, cubed
- 3 fully cooked Johnsonville® Chicken Sausage Cajun Style (3 ounces each), cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 green onions, chopped, divided
- 4 teaspoons whole wheat flour
- 1-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil. Slowly stir in grits. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 5-7 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cream cheese until melted.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, brown sausage in 1 teaspoon oil. Remove and keep warm.
- In the same pan, heat remaining oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic and half of the green onions; cook and stir for 1 minute. Stir in flour until blended; gradually whisk in broth and milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in shrimp and sausage; cook for 3-5 minutes or until shrimp turn pink. Serve with grits; top with tomato and remaining green onion. Yield: 5 servings.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Shrimp & Chicken Sausage with Grits
Sort By :
"Made this with rice instead of grits. It needed more flour to thicken and it was a bit bland. I added a tablespoon of Take 5 UMAMI Paste. It was easy and I would definitely make it again."
"Fantastic! This was a big success with the family. I think it will become our Fat Tuesday tradition. Only two problems - the grits I used needed an extra cup of water. Once I added more water, it was fine. Also, my sauce wouldn't thicken up with the whole wheat flour. I finally added a tablespoon of white flour and it came right together. Very, very good! Can't wait to make it again."