Shrimp & Chicken Sausage with Grits Recipe
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup quick-cooking grits
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, cubed
- 3 fully cooked spicy chicken sausage links (3 ounces each), cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 green onions, chopped, divided
- 4 teaspoons whole wheat flour
- 1-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1. In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil. Slowly stir in grits. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 5-7 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cream cheese until melted.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, brown sausage in 1 teaspoon oil. Remove and keep warm.
- 3. In the same pan, heat remaining oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic and half of the green onions; cook and stir for 1 minute. Stir in flour until blended; gradually whisk in broth and milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- 4. Stir in shrimp and sausage; cook for 3-5 minutes or until shrimp turn pink. Serve with grits; top with tomato and remaining green onion. Yield: 5 servings.
3/4 cup shrimp mixture with 3/4 cup grits equals 367 calories, 13 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 161 mg cholesterol, 810 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 31 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.