Shredded Wheat Bread Recipe
The recipe for this low-fat bread came from my grandmother. It's now my husband's favorite. Nothing makes the house smell better than the aroma of molasses as this bread bakes.
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup crushed Shredded Wheat cereal
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 5-1/2 to 6-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Melted butter, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, pour boiling water over cereal. Add the molasses, shortening and salt. Let stand until mixture cools to 110°-115°, stirring occasionally.
- 2. In a bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add cereal mixture and 3 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- 3. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 4. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Shape into loaves. Place in two greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 5. Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. Brush with melted butter if desired. Cool. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
1 serving (1 slice) equals 104 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 113 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
Reviews for Shredded Wheat Bread
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC