Shredded Steak Sandwiches Recipe
I received this recipe when I was a newlywed, and it's been a favorite since then. The saucy steak barbecue makes a quick meal served on sliced buns or even over rice, potatoes or buttered noodles. —Lee Deneau, Lansing, Michigan
- 3 pounds beef top round steak, cut into large pieces
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1-1/2 cups ketchup
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 to 3 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1-1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 12 to 14 sandwich rolls, split
- 1. Place meat in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Add onions and celery. In a bowl, combine the ketchup, water, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, salt, mustard, paprika, chili powder, pepper and hot pepper sauce. Pour over meat.
- 2. Cover and cook on high for 6-8 hours. Remove meat; cool slightly. Shred meat with two forks. Return to the slow cooker and heat through. Serve on rolls. Yield: 12-14 servings.
1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 321 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 54 mg cholesterol, 1,029 mg sodium, 40 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 24 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC