- 3 pounds beef top round steak, cut into large pieces
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1-1/2 cups ketchup
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 to 3 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1-1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 12 to 14 sandwich rolls, split
- Place meat in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Add onions and celery. In a bowl, combine the ketchup, water, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, salt, mustard, paprika, chili powder, pepper and hot pepper sauce. Pour over meat.
- Cover and cook on high for 6-8 hours. Remove meat; cool slightly. Shred meat with two forks. Return to the slow cooker and heat through. Serve on rolls. Yield: 12-14 servings.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Shredded Steak Sandwiches
Sort By :
"I love this! I used a chuck roast and cooked it on low for about 5 hours and it was perfect. The sauce is tangy, not quite bbq though. Other than the meat, I followed the recipe exact. Served it on Hawaiian jumbo buns the first night, the mixed in with buttered egg noodles the next. So good!!! Next time......nachos!!"
"The marinade was packed with flavor, although I wasn't excepting it to taste like barbecue sauce. This wasn't mentioned in the print magazine, as it was online. As other reviewers mentioned, the recipe called for quite a bit of salt. I left it out and still thought the recipe had plenty of flavor."
"I followed this recipe exactly. I thought the flavor was ok. Edible but not delicious and I was disappointed. My biggest disappointment was how the meat cooked. I keep thinking that this possibly was supposed to be cooked on low, not high. The meat was overdone and I did it for 7 hours. I was surprised to see meat cooked on high for so long and might have been better on low but taste was still just ok."
"I just tried this recipe and thought it was quite good. I would make it again."
"No offense intended but i keep wondering if those chefs know how polluted the oceans are?"