- 1/4 cup minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (3 pounds)
- 2 cups soaked wood chips, optional
- 8 kaiser rolls, split
- Roasted sweet red pepper halves, fresh basil leaves and balsamic vinaigrette, optional
- In a small bowl, combine the garlic, oil, basil, salt, oregano, rosemary and pepper. Open roast; place fat side down so it lies flat. Spread garlic mixture evenly over meat. Close roast; tie several times with kitchen string. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Prepare grill for indirect heat, using a drip pan with 1 in. of water. Add 1 cup of soaked wood chips to grill if desired. Grill roast, covered, over medium-low heat for 2 hours, adding remaining wood chips after 1 hour.
- Wrap roast in a double thickness of aluminum foil. Return to grill over indirect medium heat. Cover and grill for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until meat is tender.
- Carefully open foil to let steam escape. When cool enough to handle, shred meat. Serve on rolls with roasted peppers, basil and vinaigrette if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Shredded Italian Pork Sandwiches in Backyard Living May/June 2006, p24
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Shredded Italian Pork Sandwiches(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- BBQ Pork Recipes >
- Birthday Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Grilled Pork Recipes >
- Grilling Recipes >
- Hot Sandwich Recipes >
- Italian Dinners >
- Italian Recipes >
- Make Ahead Dinner Recipes >
- Make-Ahead Recipes >
- New Year's Dinner Recipes >
- New Year's Recipes >
- Pork Dinner Recipes >