Cola is the secret ingredient in this delicious slow-cooked beef. Coated with a well-seasoned sauce, the tender meat gets its zip from chili powder and cayenne pepper. —Marie Basinger of Connellsville, Pennsylvania
- 3/4 cup cola
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon reduced-sodium beef bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 beef rump roast or bottom round roast (2 pounds)
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 8 hoagie buns, split
- In a measuring cup, combine the cola, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, vinegar, bouillon and seasonings; set aside. Cut roast in half. In a nonstick skillet, brown meat in oil on all sides.
- Place onions in a 3-qt. slow cooker. Top with meat. Pour half of cola mixture over meat. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat is tender. Cover and refrigerate remaining cola mixture.
- Remove meat from cooking liquid and cool. Strain cooking liquid, reserving onions and discarding the liquid. When meat is cool enough to handle, shred with two forks. Return meat and onions to slow cooker.
- Combine ketchup and reserved cola mixture; [our over meat mixture and heat through. Serve on buns. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Shredded Beef Sandwiches in Light & Tasty October/November 2004, p29
Reviews for Shredded Beef Sandwiches
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review