Shredded Beef Barbecue Recipe
- 1 beef sirloin tip roast (2-1/2 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons celery seed
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 12 kaiser rolls, split
- 1. Sprinkle roast with salt and pepper. In a nonstick skillet, brown roast in oil on all sides over medium-high heat; drain. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Combine next 10 ingredients; pour over roast.
- 2. Cover and cook on low until meat is tender, 8-10 hours. Remove meat; shred with two forks and return to slow cooker. Spoon 1/2 cup meat mixture onto each roll. Yield: 12 servings.
1 sandwich: 313 calories, 9g fat (2g saturated fat), 59mg cholesterol, 688mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (0g sugars, 2g fiber), 26g protein Diabetic Exchanges:2 starch, 3 lean meat
Reviews for Shredded Beef Barbecue
"So, so, SO good! I ended up using a couple pork steaks since I was out of roasts, and they didn't disappoint! Shredded very nicely, I think I may omit the water next time as other reviewers mentioned doing, there was quite a bit of excess liquid. Otherwise, this was absolutely amazing! The house smelled great when I got home from work after this had sat in the slow cooker all day - it reminded me of grandma's house growing up, she must have used this recipe since I know she was a Taste of Home fan as well!"
"I did not have time to brown the roast beforehand. Cooked all day and turned out fabulous - perfect bbq flavor for my family & they loved it! Very easy to shred. I did omit water, too."
"disappointing. did not really have much of a bbq flavor. it did shred nicely but we had to add bbq sauce to the sandwich to make it tasty."
"Very easy. Thanks for the tip to omit the water. This fit in my 3-qt slow cooker with room to spare. I don't see how it could feed 12 people, though - it's more like 6 servings."
"This is tasty! I don't use any of the water called for in this recipe."