This beef roast simmers for hours in a homemade barbecue sauce, so it's very tender and easy to shred for sandwiches. The mixture freezes well, too. -Lori Bergquist of Wilton, North Dakota
- 1 beef sirloin tip roast (2-1/2 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup each ketchup and water
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons celery seed
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 12 kaiser rolls, split
- Sprinkle roast with salt and pepper. In a nonstick skillet, brown roast in oil on all sides over medium-high heat; drain.
- Transfer roast to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Combine the ketchup, water, onion, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, vinegar, mustard, celery seed and chili powder; pour over roast.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat is tender. Remove meat; shred with two forks and return to slow cooker. Spoon 1/2 cup meat mixture onto each roll. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Shredded Beef Barbecue in Light & Tasty December/January 2004, p31
Reviews for Shredded Beef Barbecue
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review