- 1 beef sirloin tip roast (2-1/2 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons celery seed
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 12 kaiser rolls, split
- Sprinkle roast with salt and pepper. In a nonstick skillet, brown roast in oil on all sides over medium-high heat; drain. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Combine next 10 ingredients; pour over roast.
- Cover and cook on low until meat is tender, 8-10 hours. Remove meat; shred with two forks and return to slow cooker. Spoon 1/2 cup meat mixture onto each roll. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Shredded Beef Barbecue
"So, so, SO good! I ended up using a couple pork steaks since I was out of roasts, and they didn't disappoint! Shredded very nicely, I think I may omit the water next time as other reviewers mentioned doing, there was quite a bit of excess liquid. Otherwise, this was absolutely amazing! The house smelled great when I got home from work after this had sat in the slow cooker all day - it reminded me of grandma's house growing up, she must have used this recipe since I know she was a Taste of Home fan as well!"
"I did not have time to brown the roast beforehand. Cooked all day and turned out fabulous - perfect BBQ flavor for my family & they loved it! Very easy to shred. I did omit water, too."
"Very easy. Thanks for the tip to omit the water. This fit in my 3-qt slow cooker with room to spare. I don't see how it could feed 12 people, though - it's more like 6 servings."
"This is tasty! I don't use any of the water called for in this recipe."