- 4 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 8 cups shredded cabbage
- 30 sandwich buns, split
- In a Dutch oven, bring beef and water to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 hours or until tender.
- Remove beef with a slotted spoon; shred with two forks and set aside. Skim fat from cooking liquid. Stir in the ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, horseradish, mustard and salt. Add shredded beef and cabbage. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until cabbage is tender.
- Spoon 1/3 cup onto each sandwich bun. Yield: 30 sandwiches.
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Shredded Beef 'n' Slaw Sandwiches(4)
Sort By :
MADE THIS TODAY.NOW I WILL USE PORK TO REPLACE THE BEEF.
I used this recipe a couple of years ago for my son's birthday party and he doesn't like cabbage but raved about the sandwiches. They were a hit with all the guests and this is a wonderful recipe for a crowd.
Was pretty good, but we still prefer shredded/pulled pork.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Hot Sandwich Recipes >
- Low Fat Dinner Recipes & Main Dishes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Sandwiches >
- Potluck Dinner Recipes >